22 September 2011

Third-party mice && OSX Lion

I was having a tough time getting used to both the Magic Pad and Magic Mouse with OSX Lion, so I decided to go back to my trusty three button. However, with the changes to scroll movement, inertial scrolling and this crazy idea of a third button on a mouse, I had to do some digging to "customize" Lion to work the way I wanted.

First, it's not hard to find the option to turn the "reverse" scrolling off; it's under the mouse preferences saying "Move content in the direction of finger movement when scrolling or navigating." While this isn't the most concise explanation, it's certainly verbose.

Second, I wanted to turn off the inertia when scrolling. This works phenomenally when using either of the Apple products, it doesn't work like I'd like (or what I'm used to; since I switch systems so often). This wasn't quite as easy to find, but luckily, it's out there. This article explains how to change it.

Finally, I like using a mouse that has a thumb button. To use and configure this to my liking, I found some software called USB Overdrive. It has options for all sorts of third party keyboards and mice. This section will help with the various parts of it and how to get it setup for your liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment